Tuesday 22 March 2011

Help! I'm turning into a Tarmac Bashing Roadie!

Another week come and gone in my ongoing quest to get race fit for the upcoming London Marathon. Last week saw me complete one of my biggest weeks with 3 weekday training sessions topped off with the East Hull 20 on Sunday morning with my "Pacer" Nigel.

This was only our 2nd attempt at a 20 miler and this time we had a strategy! 8 min/miles from Start to Finish and if we still felt good at the end we might extend it a few miles. We got off to a nice sensible pace, but still quicker than 8's. This was also going to be my 1st time using Gel's so I had that to look forward to at 10 miles. The weather was sunny, warm and a little bit windy, off down the main road at the start felt very strange to someone more used to the fells. We soon turned off onto smaller country lanes and got settled into a pace with a few other Marathoners.

The race was essentially a big square lap and after a few miles we started to experience the effects that a crosswind and then a headwind can bring, we also noted that for a flat course this one cetainly had some long drags in it!

A good event, well run and for myself and Nigel another 20 miles in the bag at a very respectable 8 min/miles.

Next weekend is our last Long one! Planning a great big 23 mile lap from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment