Sunday 6 March 2011

Trimpell 20

Brilliant, no better way to describe this. My first road race and what a race to pick. 20 miles on a predominantly flat traffic free course. The weather was good, the marshalling and organising was equally good (thanks to all involved)
My main aim with this one was to see how i would fare under race conditions over a serious distance.Well, I can report that I did OK! Even before entering this I was concerned about my ability to run a consistent pace over a long distance. As most of you will know, distance road races are all about pace. I have to say that i was incredibly fortunate to have recently met a fellow runner who also had a place in the London Marathon, but had never run more than half marathon's so his concerns were similiar to mine. Although as I was about to find out his ability to set a good pace and maintain it was excellent, several times he pegged us back a bit when I was getting a bit carried away. His strategy paid off and we ran pretty consistent 7:30min/miles to finish in a very credible 2:31hrs. (Thanks Nige!)

A great moral booster. London Marathon?.... Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment